News / बातमी
News : Who Will be Considered as Wife if the Relationship Between Homosexuals Deteriorates? Asks Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, in Supreme Court
- During a hearing about Same Sex Marriage in India, the Solicitor General, Tushar Mehta, asked the Supreme Court a question that surprised the judges.
- He asked who would be considered the husband or wife if a same-sex couple got divorced, and who would receive alimony or inherit property if one of them died.
- One of the judges said it was impossible to determine.
- The Chief Justice of India said that same-sex partners would also be entitled to alimony, but asked for proof of marriage.
- The judges also discussed the need for marriage to be registered in court.
- Mehta joked that his colleague’s marriage had not been registered in court.